I found a relative gold mine a while back in my job searching when I came across the web site dice.com and found a whole bunch of listings for computer programmers with the language I have the most experience with, that fossil known as COBOL.
Ever since then, dice.com has been a regular stop for me in my job searching. I’ve put out so many applications through there, for jobs around the country, the ones that I’ve applied for have been cycling through again to let me know I’ve already got an application out there for them so I don’t double up on the same jobs.
I’ve also been getting email alerts and stories on IT job trends from dice.com to help keep me aware of what’s going on out there. There was one story that came through a couple of days ago that was about as encouraging as a swift kick in the teeth.
The headline read, “Hewlett-Packard Won’t Cut Any Jobs in India.”
It appears HP is going through some “restructuring,” a convenient term for layoffs and job shifts. HP announced in May that it will cut 27,000 positions over the next two years, including 9,000 in the United States.
Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman — a former Republican candidate for governor in California — sought to reassure HP employees in India, however, that their jobs would largely be safe.
“We are not reducing our workforce in India,” Whitman told Economic Times. “We have announced a global work force reduction, but India will stay largely intact, because we not only have all our business units here, but also our R&D and back office. We are focused on keeping our work force here, and I think over time, probably increase the work force.”
I won’t slam workers in India. I’ve worked with IT people in India before, they’re hard workers and pleasant to work with. I’ve been entertained once through listening to the different dialects in a conference call between workers in India and China on the same call.
But, in the meantime, my nationwide efforts in finding a tech job for positions in which I’m qualified are getting me not so much as a sniff. It’s … frustrating.
Is it time to move to India?
- Hewlett-Packard’s Deepening Sales Slump Shows Whitman Challenge – San Francisco Chronicle (sfgate.com)
- HP cuts full-year forecast on stalling PC, data center revenue – @BloombergNews (bloomberg.com)
- Hewlett-Packard Won’t Cut Any Jobs in India (news.dice.com)
- Hewlett-Packard makes $8.8bn loss (bbc.co.uk)
- Hewlett-Packard’s record loss reveals CEO Whitman’s turnaround challenge (business.financialpost.com)
- HP takes huge quarterly earnings hit on EDS write-down (mercurynews.com)
- Is Hewlett-Packard Or Dell More Likely To Survive? (seekingalpha.com)
- Embattled Hewlett-Packard takes big hit (nzherald.co.nz)
- Biz Break: Hewlett-Packard confirms analysts’ fears about PC companies, Apple closes at new high (mercurynews.com)
- The 5 hottest IT jobs right now (infoworld.com)