Someone found my blog today using the search term “prayers to overcome feeling inadequate at my job.” Which was kind of remarkable, almost “supernatural,” since it’s been about a full year to the day since I felt one of the worst feelings of my life.
It was a full year ago that I was made to feel like a complete idiot by my last boss in front of all my co-workers, which he was quite good at doing at other times with other co-workers but that was the first time it had happened like that with me.
The next day, the feeling that I could very well lose my job that I’d been at for nearly five years hit me like a ton of bricks. I could feel my complexion turning more pale, and I said a prayer in a conversational style that lasted about two hours while digging a grave for a human-sized dog, asking for help in providing a way out for my family and me.
It was a year ago today that I went home after that chewing out session and immediately put an updated resume out on monster.com. My job search began then. It continues today.
And here we are, coming up to Labor Day. Yippee.
I will celebrate and raise a toast to the American worker, just like so many others this long weekend. At the same time, I’ll be continuing to think about the way things are, and I’ll be wondering.
How in the hell is anyone supposed to survive with the way things are? Living from paycheck to paycheck and not even living an elegant life in the process? Continually seeing comments from people on jobs-related stories about how they haven’t seen a decent pay increase in years?
How bad can it get? Let me put it this way: I deposited a check for just over $81 from my former employer today, a rebate gift courtesy of the Affordable Care Act (otherwise known as that “evil” thing called “Obamacare” … yeah, getting money back from insurance companies overcharging on premiums is very evil), and I was happy to do it.
The check might not have been that much money, but these days every penny counts. It especially counts when you’ve been unemployed for a while.
The fight continues. I won’t back down.
Copyright 2012, Daddysangbassdude Media
- Out of work, out of luck, out of hope (lsnewsgroup.com)
- Happy Capital Day? (txwclp.org)
- A Bold New Labor Call for a ‘Maximum Wage’ (alethonews.wordpress.com)
- The 86 million invisible unemployed (weeklyintercept.blogspot.com)
- Gearing Up For Labor Day – Fab’s Favorite All-American Models, and Where They Were Born! (fabsugar.com)
- Jobless rate for region hits 9%, highest in 22 years (buffalonews.com)
- Reader Questions: Who is ” Not in Labor Force ” ? Who is Counted as Unemployed? (ilene.typepad.com)
- Will the Unemployed Really Find Jobs Making Robots? (rick.bookstaber.com)
- 8 Ways to Convince Your Boss Social Media is a Good Idea (blogs.constantcontact.com)