New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is not in my list of favorite public figures. Judging by his keynote speech during the last Republican National Convention, President Barack Obama isn’t among Christie’s favorite people either.
But with Superstorm Sally causing so much destruction and bringing death with it, including within Christie’s state, all of that was pushed aside Tuesday by the outspoken governor, and he actually said some things I had to give a couple of big thumbs up to: praising Obama and his emergency management team for their response to New Jersey’s needs before and during the storm.
Even when Christie appeared on the “Fox & Friends” morning show and co-host Steve Doocy tried to steer the conversation toward Obama’s Republican challenger Mitt Romney, Christie would have none of it. That was refreshing, especially a week to go before Election Day.
It was refreshing to see Christie push politics aside and talk about the needs of the people in a most challenging time. I’d love to see how the folks at Fox News took that reaction behind the scenes. On the other side of the coin, the former head of the government’s emergency management agency during the Hurricane Katrina disaster saw fit to make this response to Sandy from the Obama administration look bad by saying the response was TOO QUICK — another example of turning tragedies into something meant for shameful political gain.
Who knows, it could be that the “new-found friendship” between Obama and Christie could lead to a bit more civil discussions between some of the top leaders in the two major parties … or could it?
Sadly, I’m not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.
- Conservatives Are Beginning To Freak Out About Chris Christie And Barack Obama (businessinsider.com)
- Why Mitt Romney is no Chris Christie (salon.com)
- Chris Christie Goes Off Fox Script: Praises Obama, Dismisses Romney “Photo Op” Re Monster Storm Sandy (newshounds.us)
- Christie praises Obama, doesn’t ‘give a damn’ about Romney photo op (rawstory.com)
- Christie praises Obama, says he’s ‘not interested’ in surveying disaster area with Romney (tv.msnbc.com)
- Editorial: Gov. Christie and President Obama and the challenges of Sandy (nj.com)
- Chris Christie Praises Obama Sandy Response (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Gov. Christie praising Obama on Hurricane Sandy: Bashed him as “Chicago Ward Politician” (blogs.suntimes.com)
- Obama and Christie make unlikely traveling companions (reuters.com)
- How will Sandy impact Chris Christie’s political future? (cbsnews.com)