There’s a scene from “Field of Dreams” that chokes me up pretty much every time I see it. It’s at the end of the movie, when the son is “reunited” with his father and they share a simple yet meaningful time together, playing catch with a baseball.
I remember how teary-eyed I got when I first saw it. It felt like there was a lump in my throat the size of a baseball.
It probably had — and still has — a lot to do with the fact that I’ve never gotten to see my own father. In many cases like that, you think of all the times you’ve missed in your life with your dad. It can be painful.
It still fills my heart with joy, though, when I see stories of children actually being reunited with their fathers after having to spend long periods of time apart. A couple of them have revolved around baseball, real life versions of “Field of Dreams,” from my own neck of the woods in Salt Lake City to the other side of the country in Tampa Bay.
To all the dads out there, “go the distance” for your children.
Happy Father’s Day!
- Happy Father’s Day from a Daddy’s Girl (safarisandsunsets.com)
- Dear Peter: Happy Father’s Day (understandingprematurity.com)
- Happy Father’s Day! (harlemcondolife.com)
- Father’s Day (ritzcrackerinn.wordpress.com)
- Happy Fathers Day! (markbrassington.com)
- Happy Father’s Day, All … (strategiclearner.wordpress.com)
- Father, daughter have emotional reunion at Myrtle Beach Pelicans game (myrtlebeachonline.com)
- A deep appreciation (meghan80.wordpress.com)
- The Joy of Father’s Day (navigationofkindness.com)
- Father’s Day thoughts from a Daddy (lynnlly.com)